STORY CONTINUES BELOW THESE SALTWIRE VIDEOS
For 13 straight seasons, Marc Campbell has lived as much as the nickname “the King of Island Racing” positioned on him on this column 10 years in the past.
Campbell, who’s engaged on one other season as the highest driver at Crimson Shores Charlottetown, joins us this week for one more version of 10 questions with Prince Edward Island drivers.
1. What made you need to drive horses?
A: Truthfully, I’ve been hooked on it since earlier than I may keep in mind. It’s all I ever needed to do, and I’m simply comfortable I may make a profession out of it. I didn’t have too many choices in any other case.
2. Largest profession win?
A: 2013 Gold Cup and Saucer with Escape The Information palms down. My greatest thrill to this point.
3. Best remorse/mistake on the racetrack?
A: My 2017 Gold Cup and Saucer drive on All the time At My Place. It was a really unhealthy drive, and I ought to have one other Gold Cup as an alternative. I used to be means too assured going into that race. I’ve realized from that have.
4. In case you may change one factor in harness racing what would it not be?
A: I’d prefer to see harness racing go foremost stream. I imply they present darts on TV, so why can’t they present horse racing?
5. What’s one thing the followers would not find out about you?
A: I wouldn’t be the place I’m with out the assist of my household. I began out with my grandfather and uncles, and now it’s my spouse and youngsters; they offer me the drive I’ve to win and achieve success.
6. What made you keep racing horses on P.E.I.?
A: Truthfully, we acquired pregnant with (oldest son) Landon and determined we must always stick round right here. Then, one factor led to a different.
At a look
Right here’s a fast have a look at Marc Campbell:
- Residence: A father of two boys and two women, Campbell lives in Orwell together with his spouse, Natasha.
- Birthday: Nov. 21, 1984.
- Hometown: Orwell, P.E.I.
- Lifetime wins: 2,919
- Nickname: The King
- Colors: Inexperienced, white and black.
- First lifetime win: Crestwave Gaze, July 24, 2004, Summerside.
- Favorite film: I appear to be into sequence proper now: Yellowstone, 1883, 1923, Tulsa King.
- Favorite music: Coronary heart Like A Truck – Lainey Wilson.
7. Favorite factor to do outdoors of racing?
A: Hanging out with my household, hockey, soccer, travelling, something to unwind a bit.
8. What’s your favorite reminiscence from a race?
A: Toss-up between 2013 Gold Cup and Saucer or my first stake win with Elm Grove Insurgent a very long time in the past ($6,600 Duck Acorn Division, August 2005).
9. What’s the most constructive innovation made in racing because you began driving?
A: Atlantic Lotto taking up helped the entire business survive. In any other case, I actually don’t suppose we may make careers right here. We’ve got two lovely amenities to race from right here in P.E.I., plus authorities assist has been an enormous deal.
10. Not counting your self, who’re the highest three drivers in Atlantic Canadian harness racing (in no specific order)?
A: That’s a tough query, I’m going to have to offer you 5. First, Gilles Barrieau, then I actually suppose any of those guys are shut. Corey MacPherson has had one of the best yr of his profession and acquired to drive higher stakes horses. David Dowling could make horses go quick for positive. Jason Hughes all the time appears to get cash in greater races, and Redmond Doucet is somebody you possibly can simply by no means depend out.
Nicholas Oakes’ column seems in The Guardian every Friday. He might be reached at [email protected].